SCRIPTURES TO READ: Romans 7:7-11
7 What then shall we say? That the law is sin? By no means! Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin. For I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.” 8 But sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, produced in me all kinds of covetousness. For apart from the law, sin lies dead. 9 I was once alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin came alive and I died. 10 The very commandment that promised life proved to be death to me. 11 For sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me.
QUESTIONS TO ANSWER:
1. If Christians no longer live according to the law then what was its purpose? (V7)
2. What specific example does Paul use from his own life to show the laws purpose? (V7)
3. What power took advantage of the commandment? (V8)
4. Identify two ways in which sin misuses the law? (V8, 11)
5. Think through sin’s relationship to the law but specifically how sin can be “dead” apart from the law and “alive” with the law (Vv8-9).
6. What expectation did Paul have of the law? (V10)
7. Instead what did sin do to Paul through the law? (Vv10-11)