SCRIPTURES TO READ: Romans 16:1-16
I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a servant of the church at Cenchreae, 2 that you may welcome her in the Lord in a way worthy of the saints, and help her in whatever she may need from you, for she has been a patron of many and of myself as well. 3 Greet Prisca and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus, 4 who risked their necks for my life, to whom not only I give thanks but all the churches of the Gentiles give thanks as well. 5 Greet also the church in their house. Greet my beloved Epaenetus, who was the first convert to Christ in Asia. 6 Greet Mary, who has worked hard for you. 7 Greet Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners. They are well known to the apostles, and they were in Christ before me. 8 Greet Ampliatus, my beloved in the Lord. 9 Greet Urbanus, our fellow worker in Christ, and my beloved Stachys. 10 Greet Apelles, who is approved in Christ. Greet those who belong to the family of Aristobulus. 11 Greet my kinsman Herodion. Greet those in the Lord who belong to the family of Narcissus. 12 Greet those workers in the Lord, Tryphaena and Tryphosa. Greet the beloved Persis, who has worked hard in the Lord. 13 Greet Rufus, chosen in the Lord; also his mother, who has been a mother to me as well. 14 Greet Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermes, Patrobas, Hermas, and the brothers who are with them. 15 Greet Philologus, Julia, Nereus and his sister, and Olympas, and all the saints who are with them. 16 Greet one another with a holy kiss. All the churches of Christ greet you.
QUESTIONS TO ANSWER:
1. How many people does Paul name in the first sixteen verses? (Vv1-16)
2. What do all these names tell us about Paul’s view of ministry?
3. What responsibility was Phoebe tasked with? (Vv1-2)
4. Why does Paul and the Gentile churches give thanks especially to Prisca and Aquila? (Vv3-4)
5. What specific role are Prisca and Aquila currently serving in Rome? (V5)
6. Can you identify the four names of people who are called “beloved” by Paul?
7. What is significant about Epaenetus? (V5)
8. Who had been fellow prisoners with Paul? (V7)
9. Whose mother had been like a mother to Paul? (V13)